As everyone around the country mobilises to try and assist the Western Cape with their water crisis, the franchise sector has also come on board to help – whether through donations or in cutting back on water usage. Many of the initiatives are spearheaded by the water retailers such as H2O, Oasis Water and Perfect Water who are working with organisations such as Gift of the Givers, the #5LitreChallenge and transport companies to take donated water to those in need. They are also installing water saving devises on their water filtration plants to recycle waste water.
Whether it’s the franchised water retailers rallying to donate bottled water to the restaurants and fast foods encouraging their patrons to conserve water, the franchise sector is consciously rallying to help the crisis.
- Jimmy’s Killer Brands have already donated 1000 x 5 litre bottles of water through the Gift of the Givers
- Sparkport Pharmacies are collecting water at all their stores which they then forward onto the NGO’s co-ordinating efforts
- Leading retailers like Pick n Pay are mobilizing their franchisees in an effort to ease the crisis especially for vulnerable communities
- FASA’s service provider members like communications agency Penquin are rallying their clients to find out where the water drop-off points are and encourage them to donate bottled water on a weekly basis
- Franchises serving the public are installing water saving devices in their kitchens and providing sanitisers in public bathrooms. Even up-market restaurants in the Cape area are not changing cutlery between courses to save on washing up.